WHERE IS THE BEST UNIVERSITY TO STUDY PR?


I had the opportunity to study at two universities at an undergraduate level in the field of Public Relations. I studied for two years at Bournemouth University and then transferred as a third point direct entry student to the University of Greenwich. I am very grateful for the opportunity to study at both institutions, as I have grown my love for academic studies and Public Relations through the array of teachings bestowed onto me.

In this blog post, I aim to share my experience studying Public Relations at both institutions and provide recommendations on how to pick a Public Relations course, which can provide insight for students who are interested in pursuing the same degree.

My first year studying Public Relations at Bournemouth University was challenging, as I had to grasp the writing style, develop my research and analysis skills in parallel to adjusting to the new environment. There was a strong focus on developing theoretical knowledge at the institution, which I came to love in my second year, as I was able to critically evaluate public relations campaigns vigorously through the application of theory. 

In contrast to Bournemouth University's linear teaching approach, the University of Greenwich provided an equilibrium between practice and theory-based learning. The equilibrium approach can be explored through the encouragement of finding clients to gain first-hand experience of public relations practises.  

Reflecting on my journey studying public relations at both institutions, I appreciate the knowledge bestowed onto me, as I have the hunger to develop in my field. Bournemouth University has ignited my love to pursue further studies in the communications field. Whilst, at the University of Greenwich, the institution has opened my eyes to understand how theory and practice are intertwined.  

I would not change the journey that I have undergone, as both universities have shaped me into the practitioner I am today. However, if you are a student who wants to pursue a public relations degree, here are some key factors to consider: 

1. Interning is an important experience as it can be a starting point of discussion in an interview. However, I do not see the logic to pay an institution to take a year out to intern for a company, as there is the option to intern either during the summer or in parallel to your studies. 

2. Some institutions offer a public relations degree in one sector such as fashion. However, I do not advice limiting yourself by picking this type of course as your interests may vary. 

3. Public Relations is a practical career, so find a degree which has a balance between theory and practise, as this will equip you with domain knowledge, which is desired by employers. 


Thank you for taking the time to read this blog entry, if you did find the insights I shared with you helpful, please let me know in the comment section below. Also, make sure you keep an eye on my blog, as I will be posting regular content on university and public relations topics.


Comments

Popular Posts