HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR ACADEMIC WRITING STYLE?

Hi, welcome to my blog! In this post, I aim to share with you the system I have created, including materials that have supported my accademic performance. I want to share with you the knowledge that I have accumulated during my accademic journey, as I wish someone had shared with me the following tips at the start of my university experience. I hope you find the resources I share with you helpful, and I would love to know whether the knowledge shared aided your accademic performance.

1. Grammarly
Website: https://app.grammarly.com
Spelling and grammar are not my forte however, utilising 'Grammarly' has developed my writing style. The feature within 'Grammarly' which inspires me to improve my writing is the 'performance grade', which critiques your writing based on correctness, clarity, engagement and delivery. I love to challenge myself to achieve a 100% 'performance grade', which has been a huge factor that has aided my written communication skills.

2. The University of Manchester Academic Phrasebank
Website: http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk
This resource educates students on the level of accademic writing expected at university by providing examples of sentence structures for various scenarios, such as defining key terms.

3. Practice writing
In my first year of university, I wrote a blog post once a week on a topic of my interest. This habit challenged me to develop my writing style as I would take critiques that I had received from lectures on previous assignments and embed the correction into my blog post. The adoption of this habit had resulted in a tremendous improvement in my written communication, as my accademic performance increased.

4. Read research papers
Spend time to read accademic literature, as this practice will allow you to subconsciously obtain key phrases, which you can embed into your work to develop your writing style.

5. Seek accademic advice from your university
Reach out to your lectures or accademic services at your university to seek constructive criticism on your work. During my accademic experience, I would show a paragraph of my assignment to gain feedback. Once achieved, I would apply the corrections throughout my assignment, this propelled my written communication skills.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this blog post, I hope you have gained value from the resources and tips I shared, and if you do have any other suggestions leave them in the comments section to help our community.

Comments

Popular Posts